Prescription Medication ManagementAnd Your Patients
“Prescription medications are now the second most commonly abused drug category…In primary care, in pain management settings, estimates are that more than 1 in 4 chronic pain patients misuse opioids or illicit drugs.”
—The Journal of Family Practice
A properly implemented Prescription Medication Monitoring (PMM) program is an important step in solving this problem. Specialty Drug Testing has the experience to help you implement a successful PMM program—one that helps protect your practice and safeguards your patients.
This SDT PMM Resource Guide introduces you to our innovative diagnostic laboratory testing and services. Urine drug testing plays a central role in a successful PMM program, and this guide walks you through the process of incorporating an easy, compliant urine drug-testing program into your practice.
Thank you for choosing Specialty Drug Testing as your diagnostic testing partner. We look forward to providing you with the best possible resources in diagnostics care.
The Problem Is Us
Robert Stutman & Judge Jodi Debbrecht Switalski
“The Problem is Us”
The Undeniable Truth about the Drug Epidemic of the 21st Century
Bob Stutman, former Special Agent of 25 years with the U. S. Drug Enforcement Administration, coined by New York Magazine as “the most famous narc in America” and considered to be one of the nation’s top experts on drugs and Judge Jodi Debbrecht Switalski, a former Metro Detroit felony prosecutor with a perfect trial record, who currently operates highly successful sobriety, drug and domestic violence courts, and is a pioneer in her state, drawing an early response to synthetic drugs and the opioid epidemic team together bring you the undeniable truth about the drug epidemic of the 21st century.
On average, 123 people die from drug overdose every day in the United States –approximately one person every 12 minutes.
Today, we are facing what may be the most devastating public health problem of the modern age. Until recently, when Time Magazine had a cover article Heroin Use in U.S. Reaches Epidemic Levels and Sports Illustrated had a cover article How Painkillers are Turning Young Athletes into Heroin Addicts, the U.S. was not even talking seriously about it.
Bob and Judge Jodi astonish audiences across the country with scientifically based, comprehensive presentations regarding the most current drug trends in the U.S. They will discuss the history of substance abuse and the paradigm shift in the U.S. and how this epidemic differs from previous generations. They will answer questions such as, when did this happen and why? Which drugs are most commonly abused/misused? What about heroin, opioids and synthetics? Who are the drug addicts? They are not who you think they are.
Other topics include: Marijuana – recreation and medical. What is good, what is not?
What about the new synthetic drugs that most of us never heard of? Which ones will kill you?
Prevention, treatment and harm reduction – drug and alcohol addiction is a disease, why don’t we treat it like a disease? Is abstinence the only effective form of treatment? How does Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) fit in and why? Do drug treatment courts work?
If you are a medical professional, business owner or other professional, how do you protect your practice or your company from criminal and civil liabilities? How do you identify substance abuse and what you can you do about it? What action can and should you take?
Described as “refreshingly depressing,” Bob and Judge Jodi provide the premier research and real life stories from the front lines of today’s families and medical & business professional systems to educate and provide tools for families, schools, coalitions and professionals to empower and protect themselves against the greatest health issues facing our country today. www.TheStutmanGroup.com
What you need to Know for Prescription Medication Monitoring...
Securing Your Practice with Toxicology
- Help detect misuse of illicit drugs and prescription medications
- Help prevent potentially dangerous drug to drug interactions
- Help strengthen the provider-patient relationship
- Evaluate your patient’s compliance and adherence to your treatment plan
- Substantiate the need to continue or alter the course of treatment
Protecting Your Patients
- Proactively monitor with Urine Drug Testing
- Documenting lab results
- Identifying drug compliance
The Process of Testing
The physician enrolls in the testing program—completing the provider enrollment form, custom profile standing order, etc.
Specialty Account Representatives will deliver the initial Start Up kit. The highly trained reps will provide a training and certification course for the collectors. (Following Compliance is a Must!)
(Included in start up kit)
a. 25 plain sterile collection cups with temp strip on side.
b. 50 – 12 ml Transfer Tubes.
c. 25 double pocket bio-bags.
d. 25 requisitions and
e. Training and login to portal system for ordering and reviewing results.
f. A Drug Screen Collection Instructions Poster.
2. You will make test selection based on the medical necessity of your patient.
3. Utilizing the provided testing materials, a specimen is collected from your patient. Specimen Temperature is monitored to ensure a valid specimen. Transfer the sample into two of the transfer tubes. Ensure that the proper name and date of birth of the patient in written clearly on each tube.
4. Complete the requisition or order in the portal:
NOTING Each line should be complete and compliant. Medications prescribed to the patient must be listed. Please make sure the patient provides signature of consent. Physician signature must be on the order (on file).
5. Place the specimen in the bio bag with the requisitions in the outside pocket.
6. A courier service will pick up the specimens and deliver them to the lab.
7. Once the lab receives the specimens, the screens are finalized same day and confirmations are then resulted the next 24-72 hours depending on the number of confirmations per specimen. The lab analyzes the sample, generates a report, and delivers the report by your preferred method – via fax, email, web portal, EMR.
8. You will review the reports with your patients and decide the course of treatment best suited for them.
What Sets Specialty Drug Testing apart from the rest…
Specialty Drug Testing is a state-of-the-art clinical reference laboratory…providing for a more comprehensive, personalized, and quality of testing benefiting both patients and providers.
We, at Specialty, pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service team, who are willing to answer any questions you or your patient may have. We are committed to providing rapid results to further assist you in making medical decisions.
We stay at the forefront of scientific and medical innovation while providing healthcare professionals with the latest in scientific advances.